Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Sephardic Music Experience

This day has finally arrived. The day that we premiere The Sephardic Music Experience. We had two rehearsals this week and everything has come together amazingly well. I am so impressed at how seriously everyone has taken this music, how dedicated they have all been to learning it and how much they bring to the table when playing it. At some point during the first rehearsal I just sat back and listened to the body of work we were bringing to life. I thought to myself, "I couldn't have chosen a better team of musicians to make this happen." Everyone has risen to the occasion and together they sound phenomenal. I am truly blessed to work with such talented and NICE musicians.

So today we will perform this music for the first time in front of a live audience. At 2:30 pm in the Barbro Osher Cafe at the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park my newly formed 7 piece band will present what I feel to be a truly spectacular repertoire of Sephardic music. I am really hoping that more than just Jews and friends come to this event. The music has been arranged to encompass a world music sound, ranging from flamenco, to afro-peruvian, afro-cuban and even a little reggae thrown in! How about a little samba with your Sephardic music? :) We cover the world and it seems to work really well! I can't wait to get a sense of how the general public will respond to the music. of course it is sung predominantly in Ladino (Judeo-Spanish) so there will be explanations and translations given so people can truly experience the richness of the music and the stories they tell. Can you tell I'm excited? So much so that sleep has eluded me for the past few nights. No matter, the music and adrenaline will drive me throughout the day.

Ray Vega is in town today to perform with the Latin Giants of Jazz. Now this would be very exciting for me if his concert weren't happening at the same time mine was!! Now I won't be able to see him perform. If only I could split myself in two for the day! I'm hoping that we can at least meet for dinner after our respective concerts. He leaves back to Vermont tonight so there is a very small window of opportunity. He is such a good human being. Not only talented as a musician but as a friend. He has been one of my greatest supporters since I began this latest leg of my journey and I am grateful to him for that.

It's going to be an amazing day filled with surprises, adventure and best of all, music. It just can't get any better than that!

No comments: