Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Back from Mexico

Wow! What an amazing and fun trip to San Cristobal de las Casas. The people of the city are wonderfully warm and friendly, the city itself is beautiful and the surrounding terrain and mountains are breathtaking. I had never been in the state of Chiapas before and I was very impressed with its beauty.

The festival itself was a huge success. I played in el Teatro Zebadua in the center of town and packed the theatre. It was very exciting to perform to such a fantastic audience--over 300 people present. We (Murray Low, Paul VW, David Belove and Wayne Wallace) all had a great time playing together. the music rose to a higher level and the response was of excitement and energy. I was called back for two encores. The first encore we played Quitate la Queta. I insisted everyone get up and dance--and they did!! How cool to have everyone on their feet dancing to one of my songs! :) The second encore was a duo version of Imagine. Murray has reharmonized that song and it is completely lovely how it sounds. The audience responded very positively, not only to how we performed that song, but to all of the music. They told me they like the variety of it. And it is nice to be able to explain to them what they are listening to. I feel fortunate to be able to communicate in more than one language. It opens up so many more doors for me.

Traveling with everyone was so great. I feel that we have all created a stronger bond with one another by being on the road together. Everyone brought their significant others (except for me and Wayne) and it was great hanging out with them as well. I love traveling, I love the fact that the entire band was able to be present and that we all got along so well. I hope that I will not only be invited back to San Cristobal, but that many more trips abroad, as well as in-country, will take place in the months to come.

No comments: