Monday, July 7, 2008

San Cristobal de Las Casas, Mexico

Well now that I'm finally settling into my new place, it's time to take a trip to Mexico!! I'm actually getting very excited about my pending trip to San Cristobal. I've never been to that part of Mexico and it sounds fantastically gorgeous. I spent a good part of the day yesterday organizing my gig bag, getting all the charts ready for the musicians, packing CDs to sell, creating the set list for the songs I'll perform. It's one thing performing close to home because if you forget something you can easily find it. But when I'm traveling and I've forgotten something then it becomes a bit of an issue. That's where improvisational skills come in very handy!! Also learning to be flexible and not let the little things get to you. Of course there will be some bumps along the road, it's how they're dealt with that makes the trip either a nightmare or a pleasant experience. I strive for the pleasant experience and try to leave the nightmares at home!

It will be fun traveling with the entire band to Mexico. Most everyone is bringing their significant others with them, so the parties will be even wilder each night! I'm looking forward to the Jazz Festival and hearing all the great music that will be going on this week. I'm also very excited to be able to perform as a part of this festival. I think the music will be well-received and a good time will be had by all.

Tonight is Wayne Wallace's CD release concert/party. I am of course going to go and support the crew. It will be held at the new Yoshi's in San Francisco and I'm sure it's going to be an amazing evening of music. At some points of the evening he'll have up to 19 people on stage performing. Pretty wild. His new CD is fabulous--The Nature of the Beat--and has been getting a lot of really nice and positive attention. I'm excited for him--and for the label. I feel very honored to be a part of Patois Records and all the successes we as a group have achieved since its inception.

No comments: