Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Family Arts Bridge Camp was a fantastic experience. The camp was created to give families of all types, straight, single parent, gay, etc., a place to bring their families and feel accepted and comfortable to be who they are in a safe and loving environment. The bottom line is family and how much each of those families love and support their children. My friend Wendy brought up a really good point about "alternative" families: their children are more likely to be accepting of others as well as feel more comfortable--and supported--in exploring who they are as individuals. What I saw at the camp was a wonderfully tight community of people who deeply love their children and who are committed to giving them the best life possible. And it was evident in the way the children behaved and reached out to each other, becoming fast friends in the process.

My role as music teacher, drum circle leader and expressive arts practitioner was a blast. Everyone seemed to respond very positively to what I presented and the children were completely adorable in their enthusiasm and talent. I had a great time, met a lot of new people and experienced something a bit out of my own comfort range--which is always a good thing to do! I hope I am invited back there again for next year.

This month is proving to be a busy one for me. On Sunday I will be going up to Carson City with Wayne Wallace, Orlando Torriente, Carlos Caro and Javier Navarrette to once again perform with the Reno Jazz Orchestra. We will be the closing act for the Carson City Jazz Festival. Although we will travel the same day of the gig (4 hour drive), it should be a lot of fun to get to perform with this big band again.

I then come home the next day and then travel down to San Jose to the Village California Bistro in Santana Row on Tuesday to perform a couple of sets. This should be a lot of fun as well as I am playing with Murray Low, Peter Barshay and instead of Paul VW I'll be using Michaelle Goerlitz on percussion. I like switching things up to see what kinds of interesting new things occur on the gig. And besides, Michaelle is such a dream to work with--as are Murray and Peter--I know it will be a blast. AND I get to sing!! How much better can it get? :)

No comments: