Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Talent and Decency CAN go Hand in Hand!

One of the things I appreciate most about the people I work with, besides their incredible talent, is what nice people they are. I have certainly met some "divas" in this business who believe that because of their talent they can be rude to others. But not so with the people with whom I work. And that is for a reason; I won't work with nasty people. Why should I? To me there is a certain kind of energy that I want to surround myself with and if I am playing with a musician who is rude and full of him or herself, then they create a negative energy that does not generate good "vibes." I want to be able to come to a gig--or a recording session--knowing that I am surrounded by good positive energy. This way I think we all perform to a higher level. I have been told that if I want to play with some of the best musicians of the world then I will have to tolerate some nasty behavior. But I still say no! I would rather play with lesser known musicians who bring their true, good selves to the gig, than have to be agitated by divas.

So why am I talking about this? Did something happen recently that caused me to get all riled up about this? No!! :) I was just thinking this morning about what wonderful, decent musicians I work with and how incredibly blessed I am to be able to share the same stage with them. So it got me thinking about what my musical experience could have been like and I became even more grateful that I have surrounded myself with such talented and nice people. Is the BAy Area a unique place for this? I think not. The musicians I have met elsewhere have all shown me that decency abounds in the musical community worldwide. What a relief that is!!

Tonight I will be performing at the Village California Bistro in Santana Row in San Jose from 6-8:30pm. Joining me will be Murray Low on piano, Peter Barshay on acoustic bass and Michaelle Goerlitz on percussion. This is going to be a fun and eclectic night of music in an intimate venue where we can really shine close up and personal. Playing with these very talented musicians is inspiring and exciting. I'm really looking forward to singing in San Jose again and hope you will come out and support live music.

No comments: