Monday, October 8, 2007

Back to Reality

Wow! I'm just back from doing the Leukemia Society Team-in-Training hike in Kauai and what an amazing weekend!! The hike was awesome, breathtaking, transcendental, etc. There really are no words to describe the kind of beauty Kauai holds--and rightfully so. It is the kind of experience that just needs to be appreciated with a deep sense of calm and quiet in order to "hear" the essence of the beauty the island holds. I am always amazed and in awe of how the locals live, breathe and respect their land and sea. We had a fantastic guide--Tano--who was very knowledgable about the flora and fauna and had many wonderfully entertaining stories to tell during the 10 mile hike along the Na Pail coast. We had a fantastic group (11 in all) and the hike was just at the level I was hoping it would be--not too difficult but challenging enough. I even tattooed my butt with a fall in the mud of the famous red dirt of Kauai!!

It is always such a treat to me to travel far distances and encounter people with whom I can deeply connect. It goes to show that this world really is not so big after all. I love engaging new people in conversation and finding out about their lives only to realize we share a common thread of hope and passion and enthusiasm for life. When I meet people that spark me like that I am infused with a kind of energy that is equal to nothing else. The only problem is when I meet people like that I want to remain and enjoy the kindred connection longer.

But alas!! There is the responsibilty of life and work and paying the bills!! Damn. Sometimes I just want to be reckless and irresponsible and say to hell with everything. But not this time. I considered extending my stay for a bit longer, but knew that my students are waiting for me and I have a gig tomorrow night. But one of these days, I just want to pack up my things and go off for at least a month and just be impulsive and carefree. :)

1 comment:

James N. ("en") said...

Kat! you are an excellent writer. :) my blog posts aren't as poetic as yours, but i have alot of links to my photos from during the season and from our kauai hike. check 'em out: http://enspace.blogspot.com/

hope to see you at the wrap-up party!