Monday, October 15, 2007

Moving Forward

The gig on Saturday at the Peninsula Jewish Community Center in Foster City was a really nice event. We performed in the lobby of the center, which created a bit of a challenge for sound due to high ceilings and lots of glass. Nevertheless, the audience really seemed to enjoy the music and some responded in spontaneous bursts of dancing. It was a predominantly older crowd with a smattering of young people. I like the fact that my music can appeal to a wide range of people of all ages and ethnic backgrounds. I had worried that some folks would feel ostracized by the fact they might not be able to understand the different languages in which I sing. But the message thankfully comes through, despite the lack of language comprehension. For this I am grateful and feel my goal is being met in this instance. And besides, I try my best to tell the stories the songs are attempting to convey. I'm sure this helps....

I received the nicest e-mail from Gary Mankin this morning about my new CD, Azucar de Amor. I hope he doesn't mind my quoting some of it here, but I was so touched by his words I am compelled to share them with everyone:
"kat, i am REALLY PROUD of this cd. i think it is great on LOTS of levels. i hope you appreciate how good it is, and that you are as proud as i am. it's a great record. now all you have to do is release it to the world and let them beat a breathless path to your door. thanks for letting me be a part of it." Gary Mankin

It is I who am truly thankful and honored to be able to work with such talents as Gary and Wayne Wallace and Murray Low and all of the other amazing musicians in the SF Bay Area. They inspire me to reach for new levels all the time. I am encouraged and motivated to constantly grow as both a musician and as a person by being able to work with such amazing talents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat, We attended your concert on Sat. night at the PJCC and loved it. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. My husband and I spoke to you after the concert (he went to New England Conservatory) and we bought your CD, "Birds in Flight." I love the CD except for the fact that the first track skips. Is there a way to exchange this for one without a skip in it? I'm not a computer person so if this isn't the best way to reach you, please accept my apologies. You can email me at rhondapress@rcn.com and let me know how to proceed. Thanks, Rhonda