Thursday, November 15, 2007

Under the Wire

I spent a good portion of my day yesterday in San Francisco at the Brazilian Embassy. I really (stupidly) didn't expect there to be as many people as there were. But it turned out it was good it was so crowded because I sat down in a chair next to a man who had been there the day before. He became my angel, along with another woman who was returning from the previous day. It became clear very quickly from talking to this man, Roy, that I didn't have everything I needed to get the application processed. I needed a money order for the visas (mine and Murray Low's) as they don't accept checks or credit cards. Since the numbers being called were inching up ever so slowly, Roy convinced me to go to the post office a few blocks away in order to get the money orders and not delay the visas. So off I went and quickly rushed to the post office and rushed back so as not to lose my place in line. When I returned to the embassy only a few more numbers had been called and I was at least 15 numbers away from having my papers reviewed. I asked Roy if he would show me the paper with the list of things needed to process the visa. The woman sitting next to him asked me if I had printed out my itinerary and the receipt of the flights. YIKES!!! I'd missed getting that together, too. So, still having plenty of time before my number would be called, off I went again to find a Kinko's that was supposedly close by. Unfortunately I turned the wrong way on the street and ended up walking up a big hill to Chinatown. THAT was my exercise for the day!!

I finally found the Kinko's, got my itinerary printed out and again rushed back to the embassy. Because of my two angels I finally had everything in order to be able to process the visas. (I had also found out that our visas wouldn't be ready until Nov. 27th--the day before we leave for Brazil) So finally, after 3 hours of waiting, my number is called. I get up there feeling good that I have everything in order and that this will all be a breeze from here on out. NOPE!! The person checking my papers determines that Murray's photo is unacceptable since it was just a copy of his passport photo and that he needed an original photo. Well, Murray lives in Santa Cruz--an hour and a half from San Francisco. It's 11:30 and the office closes at 1. If Murray couldn't process his papers that same day, then his visa wouldn't be ready until after our flight was airborn on the 28th. I panicked. I called Murray while sitting at the desk with this woman and luckily was able to finally get through to him. He hauled it up to San Francisco (luckily he was in the south bay which is only one hour away). I met him at 10 minutes to 1 to get his passport photo taken. By 1:05 we were heading back to the embassy, praying it would still be open.

The woman who had helped me had made a concession and told me I could just come back to the window instead of waiting in line again for another 3 hours. We got there just in time before they closed the doors on any newcomers. The woman processed Murray's papers and now we will be able to pick up our visas on Nov. 27th so we will still be able to make our flight on the 28th.

Moral of the story? Don't wait so long to apply for the visa!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kat, unfortunately bureaucracy is a reality. But much worse than this would be if you really happened to break a leg here in Brazil as Alexa wished you formerly. LOL
I will do my best to compensate your efforts with a very good time among us. And, Alexa, you are on my roll. Maybe in te future Kat will "pay with the same coin" (Brazilian saying). Tight hugs to you both. J.C.CELMER