Saturday, May 19, 2007

Music, Music, Music

I just got back from a drum/percussion clinic led by both Michael Spiro and Phil Hawkins. Being a closet percussionist, I am constantly trying to find ways to improve my skills and who better to learn from than Michael Spiro? He is such an unsung hero in these parts, so knowledgable, so talented and so engaging in his teaching style. It makes me feel as though I need to take some really serious formal training to hone my skills as a hand percussionist. I know better than to think I can dedicate the time to playing congas (which I absolutely love), but I know I can take the time to improve my skills and knowledge with the instruments I can play on stage--maracas, guiro, clave--especially clave, etc. All of this would no doubt improve my singing as well, both rhythmically and stylistically. the thing I DO feel confident about is that I have excellent rhythm and this helps me in my improvisations. Now, along with the hand percussion, I want to improve my skills as a sonera. I want and need to learn to have the confidence to improvise in Spanish with my inspiraciones. I've been listening a lot lately to Maraca, Los Van Van, Cubanismo, Ray Barreto, etc and how their soneros just take over with pure and complete confidence. It's really not about my knowledge of the music so much as it is about feeling strong in my convictions with what I have to say, and being able to say it in rapid fire form! I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I've also already done a lot of work and the foundation has been well established to be built upon. I'll be the Sara Winchester of soneros!! Building my chops more and more with each day that passes.

No comments: