Monday, June 11, 2007

Hike For Discovery

I have a friend with a blood disease that borders on Leukemia. Without the treatment she has been getting and all of the test drugs being tried on her, she might not still be around. This woman is brilliant, strong, vibrant and determined to live a long and productive life. She has a thirteen year old daughter and a husband who completely adores her. So why do things like this happen to the best people? Something I will probably never be able to comprehend. But her tenacity and desire to make a difference in this world has inspired me to sign up for Hike for Discovery. It is a fundraising event (Team-In-Training) that is supported by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). I will be training for the next three months to ultimately hike on the Nepali Coast in Kuaui in October. It is a 10 mile rigorous hike. I will need to raise $4800 dollars in order to participate in this event, 75% of which will go to LLS for research. My thought is that I will donate $5 of each CD sale towards this event. So every CD sold at live shows will be contributing to helping to find a cure for these nasty diseases. I'm excited about tackling this challenge--after all, this is nothing compared to what my friend is experiencing. I've asked her to do the hike with me and she is waiting to see if her doctor will allow her to do so. Either way, however, I will do this hike and do it with her as my inspiration.

No comments: