Friday, July 6, 2007

Fundraising

I hate asking for money. Honestly, I hate asking for anything. I prefer to do things myself and it is always hard for me to depend on others. Do I need therapy? :) Maybe!! But having to ask everyone I know to help me by donating money to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is really difficult for me. What makes it easier is twofold: it is for a very good cause and it might someday help save my friend Joan's life--and many others for that matter. The idea that a cure could be found for these blood cancers/diseases is motivating enough for me to ask for donations. So I sent out more than 400 e-mails yesterday asking for donations. Now time will tell how many people are actaully willing to respond. I did get one response so far from one of the DJs that plays my music pretty regularly--Nick Marrero. He's going to make a donation, bless his heart. Thanks Nick!!

I have also thought about different ways to raise the money I need and have thought about going back to the restuarant I worked at all those years ago and ask them if they'll let me work a shift for free. All of the tips I would earn would go towards the money I need to amass--$4800!! Personally I think it's a brilliant idea! I could wear a button or a sign on my apron letting people know what I'm doing and why I"m there for the day. Will my old boss go for it? Possibly. Someone might want a day off!! I've also committed to donating $5 of every CD sold at my live gigs. But since I'm not performing until August 1, I need to find other creative ways to raise money.

On Monday I return to the studio to begin recording my vocal tracks. I have been exercising my voice all week and have tried hard not to over-practice the songs. I'm worried about getting burnt out on the songs and not being able to bring freshness and complete honesty to the music if I sing them too much. So I'm practicing vocalese and other new songs I want to add to my repertoire. Tomorrow I'll go up to Wayne's and go through the songs with him. He wants to hear how I'll be approaching the music so we can hopefully save time in the studio. I think my ideas are pretty well locked in and now the spontaneity of just singing with my heart will hopefully take over when I get in front of that microphone. I'm sure Wayne will have some ideas for me and I'll see how--and if--I can work them into how I want to approach the music. He always has good ideas, it's just matter of whether they resonate with me or not. I respect him above most others, but I still do have my own opinions and my own creativity that needs to be asserted when necessary!!

No comments: