Wednesday, July 18, 2007

In Search of Perfection

There's nothing like a good voice lesson to get my creative juices flowing again. I took a lesson with a very accomplished opera singer, Sharon Kaye, on Monday and she opened up my voice in new ways. I already feel stronger in my ranges and am excited and ready to go back into the studio on Monday to record. I might even re-record a few parts that have already been recorded since I realize I wasn't opening up in the way I had wanted. More time, more money, but the product I want! Do I want this recording to be perfect? NO. I want this recording to be REAL and a true representation of my voice and my soul. If it were perfect then the vulnerability wouldn't be there, the truth, the bare, honest truth, wouldn't exist. Yes, the technology is there to fix every tiny little mistake, and I can certainly appreciate that, but I want enough rawness to shine through in order to truly give the listener a sense of who I really am. I like the fact that my music retains an organic feel throughout. It makes it feel more authentic to me.

So the fundraising continues. I've raised almost $1000 of the $4800 necessary. I SO want to make this work but it is such a huge amount of money to raise. I'm thinking of putting on a house concert with all proceeds to go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I am going to see if one of my mom's friends will be kind enough to let me use their large house--as opposed to my tiny one--and hopefully get a lot of people to come. It will also depend upon whether my musicians would be willing to play for free for a couple of hours. I'm hoping they'll support me in this. We'll see.

Oh! and it looks like I'll be going and performing in Chicago in or around October!! That will be exciting!!! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

ilse said...

Good luck in your fund raising. I did the Hike last year, and absolutely loved it. I'm thinking about doing a TNT Olympic Triathlon next.