Sunday, July 15, 2007

Onward and Upward!

Last week was a good recording week. I was able to record some good stuff that I am very pleased about. There are still some struggles that I am contending with and have decided to put my ego aside long enough to go and take a voice lesson on Monday in order to find different ways to express my voice when I return to the studio on July 23rd. I've just found some challenges with my upper register that I want to correct and improve upon. I'm glad I have so many resources in this area I can tap into to help me out. I don't think there's any shame in taking lessons and trying to improve your instrument. I, for one, hope to learn and grow to my dying day. Of course as I get older my voice changes and I have to learn to adjust to its nuances and find ways to express myself on deeper levels. I'm actually looking forward to the lesson. It's always good to see how other singers approach their instrument.

It's been confirmed!! I am going to Brazil to perform in December. I am SO excited. This is definitely fulfilling one of my dreams of performing in South America. There are already two concerts that are guaranteed and possibly more in Rio and in Sao Paolo. I will be performing in Rio Grande do Sul and in Porto Alegre for sure. My pianist and musical director, Murray Low, will be traveling with me and we will use local musicians to complete the quartet. What a thrill this will be! I'm hoping we can go and see the Iguacu Falls while we're there as well. I am excited to have the opportunity to perform my music in front of a new audience. It will be interesting to see the response we get with my "style" of latin/world jazz. I'm pretty confident it will be well-received.

No comments: