Sunday, July 1, 2007

Last Gig Until August

I had a really nice gig last night. We had a fantastic turn out of friends and family and even some new folks who saw the article in the Metro and decided to come down. I LOVE press!! :) One woman in particular--Stephanie--saw the article in the Metro and was intrigued by the fact that I perform Sephardic music in my repertoire. She came after our first set where the one Sephardic song of the night had already been played. Since she came down specifically to hear that part of my repertoire, I moved a few things around in the second set and included Esta Montanya d'Enfrente. It actually felt really good singing that song and since it will be going on the next CD it was great practice on how I will approach it when it comes time to record. I really love the way Murray Low has arranged this style of music. He has a really good feel for how to represent this music and he has a way of bringing out its true beauty with a few well-placed chords here and there.

Playing in a restaurant is always a challenge. People come to hear you perform--at least some people do--but they also come to share a meal together. It's hard to not want to talk to your group while the music is playing. It is a bit of a challenge to me to have half of the room completely ignoring me and the band while we perform. But then there are those magical moments when there's something we do with the music that makes everyone quiet down and stop to really listen to what we're doing. That happened a few times last night but most noticably while we were performing Esta Montanya. I know the people that came last night were "listening" to the music while they were in conversation with friends, but it is a definitely different vibe when playing in a concert situation where people are listening more carefully. I suppose all these instances are good for me to experience. The fact of the matter is I get to sing and share my music with the public. That is a gift in any form it might take and I appreciate the opportunities I have been getting and continue to get. The fact of the matter is: I LOVE to perform!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.